Wedding Shower Checklist
Talk to the bride about theme, location, guests
- Would she like it to be co-ed or all women
- Should the shower correlate to the wedding’s theme or is
- there a specific theme that she would like
- Would she like it to be a morning, afternoon, or night event
- Who would she like to invite
- Remind her that whoever is invited to the shower should also be invited to the wedding
Set up a date for the shower
- Give yourself about 3-4 months for planning
- Plan the shower about 6-8 weeks prior to the wedding
Determine the budget
- Next to having the bride’s input, this is one of the most important steps
- Where is the money for the shower coming from
- Usually, the maid of honor is the one who pays for the shower but it is not always the case
- Don’t forget about your gift for the bride
Decide on a location
- Depending on the number of guests, decide where it would be appropriate to host the event.
- If the shower is going to be hosted at someone’s house, make sure it will accommodate all guests comfortably.
- Decide if you need to rent chairs and tables and if so reserve them as soon as possible.
- Otherwise, keeping the budget, make reservations well in advance. (Banquet hall, spa, restaurant, hotel, nightclub, etc.)
Select a theme
- Keep the bride’s suggestions in mind, and pick something that would be fun for everyone.
- Determine how the location is going to be decorated and start buying decorations early.
Send out invitations ( 2 months prior to the shower)
- Finalize guest list and check with the bride one more time.
- Make a spreadsheet for each guest’ name, phone number and email address.
- Send an informal email invitation to keep date in mind. Invitations should include:
- Co-ed or female only
- Bride’s wedding registry information
- Theme of the shower
- Directions to the location of the shower
- Phone number where you can be reached the day of the shower
- RSVP options (phone, email, mail) and deadline
- Supplies needed for activities/ games
- Pot luck option (appetizer, dessert, soda, etc)
- Decide if the event will be catered or if each guest will bring something.
- Decide on appetizers, main course, and desserts
- Buy plates, napkins, and cups that coordinate with the theme.
- Order the cake
- Consult with the bride whether she would like to have alcoholic beverages at the shower and plan accordingly
- Select games to have at the shower that are theme appropriate
- Buy all the supplies needed for each game (toilet paper, scissors, tape, glitter, balloons, pens, pencils, etc)
- Select prices for each game
- Hire a DJ or create a playlist for the event
- Get all the decorations ready about 1 week before the shower (balloons, banners, pictures, guestbook, center pieces, etc)
- Decide on party favors – are you making them yourself, or ordering them, or not having any?
- Decorate the chair where the bride (and groom) will be seating
- Call people who have not RSVPd and get a final count
- Confirm reservations, caterer, dishes, cake, etc.
- Ask for help with decorating the location and setting up before the party
- Assign someone to keep a record of the gifts while they are being opened
- Have someone in charge of taking pictures
The day before the shower:
- Create a timeline for the shower
- When will the food be served
- What games are going to be played and when
- When is dessert going to be served
- When are the gifts going to be opened
The day of the shower:
- Set up decorations, the gift table, the cake table, etc.
- Welcome everyone as they arrive
- Have fun and enjoy yourself!!
We hope you find our wedding shower checklist useful, please share it with friends by linking to this page!